BusinessDen 9/13/18, – A five-year-old Denver printing company that was purchased in summer 2017 has shut down and blames a ransomware attack for the sudden closing.
The company, Colorado Timberline, operated at 11351 E 45the Ave in northeast Denver. On Wednesday (September 12th, 2018), it sent a notice to its customers and suppliers stating that it was immediately ceasing operations.
“We have recently been plagued by several IT events, unfortunately we were unable to overcome the most recent Ransomware attack and as a result this unfortunate and difficult decision was made,” the company said on its website. “We greatly appreciate the support and loyalty from each of you over the years.”
According to the companies LinkedIn page, 55 employees worked at Timberline. However, BusinessDen reporter Kate Tracy reports that as many as 100 employees worked at the facility according to a former employee.
This story just goes to show that cyber-security must be top of mind for businesses of all sizes. Events like ransomware and data breaches can cost your business time, money, reputation, and could ultimately cause your firm to be the next story on the news.
Every Business Owner Should Take Proactive Cyber-Security Measures
- Establish a business continuity plan: Breaches and malware are no an if factor, but a when factor. Your business needs to have a response plan tested and in place that can be put into action in the event of any sort of breach.
- Create a good backup plan: Backup your data using effective, reliable, and powerful business-grade tools and techniques. Ensure that you have both on site and off site backups whenever possible and that your backups are protected from being hit with ransomware. Be sure to test your backups periodically to make sure they’ll be ready when you need them most.
- Use multi-layered security: Simple anti-virus is not enough. You should use business-grade protection at multiple layers. This gives you the best fighting chance to prevent an attack from slipping through the cracks. With Stellar IT, we deliver the Stellar Security Stack:
- Prevention/detection at the network level (Sophos)
- Industry Leading Anti-Virus Software (Bitdefender)
- Web content and security control platform (Kirbside WebSec)
- Advanced Threat Detection Platform (Huntress Labs, developed by former NSA cyber experts)
Stellar IT from Kirbside can help protect your business from Ransomware
When you partner with us and become a Stellar IT platform client, you get the best security in the business from the industry’s top firms. In addition, we empower your team with the number one collaboration suite on the market, Stellar Support, and help you establish a rock-solid business continuity plan. Contact us. to learn more.